Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The most frequently asked question during pregnancy…

Megan GlynnHow will I know when it is “GO” time?!?! As a childbirth educator, I am inevitably asked this question in nearly every class I teach. Moms-to-be don’t want to show up to the hospital too early and be told to go home…but we also don’t want to wait too long and be running to the delivery room minutes before the baby is born. Unfortunately, with each labor being different, there exists no textbook answer for this timeless question. However, I do have some tips to help you determine when it is best for you to head to the hospital for “GO” time.

The easiest starting point is to time your contractions. Contractions should be 5 minutes apart for 1 hour (10 minutes apart for an hour for 2nd/3rd/4th, etc. deliveries) ***To time contractions, note the start time for two contractions and subtract the difference (if the first is at 12:00pm and the second is at 12:04pm – your contractions are 4 minutes apart).***

Most books stop there…encouraging you to go to the hospital when your contractions reach this point. I agree with the above as a good “gage” for when labor is knocking at your door, however, I also encourage my Moms-to-be to check off three more requirements: During each contraction, you should not be able to walk, talk or joke. The best way to test this is to call your Mom, sister or a good friend. If, while talking, you have to stop walking and talking to focus on your contraction (not the conversation), get in your car and go to the hospital. You will not only stop walking/talking, but your eyes will be big (think deer in the headlights look on your face) and your breathing will become very focused and noticeable to those around you. If you are able to sort of talk/walk/joke while having a contraction – hop in the shower, go for a walk, put your feet up, eat a good meal – you’re getting close, but you are not quite there!

With that said, I firmly believe that it is better to be safe than sorry. If you are stressing too much about when to go, you are better off getting to the hospital early and waiting it out there. Being sent home, or laboring for an extended period at the hospital, may not be ideal, however, it is preferable to being extremely worried/stressed and passing those stress hormones along to the baby! Happy Laboring Zoolu! fans!

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Do you have any pregnancy, labor/delivery, or postpartum questions to ask Megan? If so, either post them here or e-mail her at megan@shopzoolu.com – she LOVES answering your questions, so send them on over!!!

2 comments:

  1. Wish I had known this with my third. The hospital ladies told me to not come in until my contractions were ALL the same minutes apart. They were so different, each one. Thank goodness we got to the hospital when we did, because about 20 mins. later my baby girl was born. I'll keep your advice in mind if I ever have to do that again, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remembered you saying that if we couldn't walk, talk or joke it was probably time to go in. I had contractions that were 5 minutes apart for 2 weeks before my daughter came and the doctor kept asking if I was sure I was okay and I said, yeah I am fine, a little uncomfortable but fine!! When the day came I remember calling my mom and with each contraction I would have to stop our conversation to focus on breathing and my contractions were still 5 minutes apart. I went to the hospital to get checked out and my water broke a few minutes after we arrived.

    ReplyDelete

 

© 2010. All Rights Reserved. | Custom Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs